Are you heading to Greece soon? If this is your plan, then do not forget to visit Santorini for at least 3 days. Santorini is basically located on the southern side of the Aegean Sea and is a part of Cyclades island complex. This popular island came into existence after a huge volcanic eruption that took place in the 17th Century BC. From hypnotic sunsets, cave house accommodation to churches, and amidst whitewashed stone buildings, Santorini has it all. Nobody could ever deny the uniqueness of this place and it is probably one of the best Greek islands to visit. Let’s dig deep into some of the most amazing things you can do in Santorini on your next trip. You will also get to know about some popular restaurants and food once you go through this blog. Follow the tips to enjoy and have the best time exploring the beautiful island of Santorini.
Things you must do in Santorini:
- Walk: One thing that you should never miss is to walk the caldera edge and enjoy the fascinating views. It would be an amazing feeling to walk in and around Fira, especially when you head to Imerovigli and Firostefani along the Calder edge pathway. Do not stop and you will eventually find yourself in Oia. The trail beyond Imerovigli is quite rough and you might have to walk for 3-4 hours in one direction.
- Watch the Sunset: Head over to Oia to saunter around the cliff-top town in the afternoon. Want to see the most beautiful sunset? You should not miss Oia’s sunset. Find a spot somewhere in the town or go to a restaurant that overlooks the town. It is one of the most amazing things to do in Santorini, but you will not be alone there. People from different walks of life go there to watch the sunset. Obviously, you cannot stop others to enjoy the things that you want to enjoy.
- Grab a Glass of Wine: Holiday without a glass of wine? Nah, not my thing. Isn’t it? Go to Santo Winery where you will find a variety of delicious Greek wines, olives, and many other things to eat. There can be nothing better than this to spend a lazy afternoon. There are about a dozen local vineyards that host tastings with a small charge and offer food as well. So, go to a vineyard, grab a glass of wine, and enjoy the scenery.
- Get a plate of your favorite food: Greece is one of the most popular places known for its amazing food and Santorini is no exception to it. There are various mouth-watering local dishes you must try. Do not forget to carry your expandable trousers with you as you will definitely get some extra rolls around your tummy.
- Scuba Diving: Ever done scuba diving before? Santorini is known for its crystal clear ocean waters. So, do not wait and put on your gear to get below the water. Scared? Well, don’t worry as different companies offer Scuba lessons, they will teach you completely and then only will let you get into the water. It would be fun as you will get to see plenty of colorful fishes while swimming in the most beautiful water in the world.
- Top of the Santorini Volcano: As the island was formed due to a volcano, would it be fair not to visit the volcanic island of Nea Kameni? You will have to walk up the ascending soil path to see the beautiful volcanic crater. Another stop recommended for you is the Palea Kameni, where you can swim in hot springs and admire the views. You must not forget your bathing suit. If you love being in the water, this option is quite suitable for you and is one of the most active things to do.
- Do not forget to explore the capital, Fira: Being the capital city of Santorini, Fira offers you with gorgeous views, cobbled streets, and picturesque churches that you should not miss at all. One more thing that is recommended is not to forget visiting the Archaeological Museum of Thera to know a little more about the island’s history and heritage.
- Visit Megalochori: Megalochori is the perfect place to visit for a few hours. Go in the early morning and stop your vehicle at one of the most famous bakeries of the town in order to get a Saganaki. You would not find many tourists there, and hence it is quite a good place to visit if you want to go somewhere else, other than Oia or Fira.
- Explore the highest point in Santorini: When exploring Santorini, you must visit Profitis Ilias which is a mountain-top monastery. It is built on the highest point of Santorini, 567 meters above the sea level. Do not forget to go inside some of the beautiful buildings and enjoy the views. Also, you can get some local products from there.
Where and what can you eat
If you have already completed all the things to do in Santorini, why not spend the rest of the days eating and serving your tummy? There you can get more than enough varieties of food and you can try different dishes at every meal. Some of the most recommended foods are Saganaki, Spanakopita, gyros, fava beans, and Greek salad. Wait! Wait! These are my favorites. There are still a lot of dishes and you are going to tell me what I should try on my next visit.